Saturday, December 8, 2012

AWL 40 Preview Week: Day 6.


Dragon © vs. Wonder Kid: AWL World Heavyweight Championship Match.

At long last, after a week of posts, we finally get to the main event.  A match for the most important prize in all of animated wrestling and, some would argue, all of professional wrestling, the Animated Wrestling League World Heavyweight Championship!

And it should not be happening.

Because this match already took place.  At AWL 36, the Green Grappler defended his title against the Man Muscle Mountain and WON via pin fall after a top rope Dragon Star Press.  1.  2.  3.  End of story, right?

Wrong.  Wonder Kid did kick out of the cover, but the referee decided that it was too late and awarded the fall, the match, and the championship to Dragon.  Well, less than an hour later and the AWL Commissioner had no less than 30 voicemails, e-mails, faxes, you name it.  All from Yarina, Wonder Kid’s manager, DEMANDING justice.  Well, never one to say no to a lady (or possibly just to shut her up), the Commissioner ordered an examination of the last 5 seconds of the match and . . . it was too close to call.

Naturally, the referee’s decision is sacrosanct in the AWL.  Not even the Commissioner has the authority to override a referee’s ruling.  However, when Yarina heard that she started talking lawsuit and as a result, the Commissioner has done something unheard of in the AWL.  Wonder Kid has been granted a rematch for the world title, without having to work his way back up the Best 4 rankings!

For his part, Dragon has remained mostly silent on this issue.  But hopefully, we will get some answers in this exclusive interview:

              Interviewer: First off Dragon, thank you for agreeing to talk to us today.
              Dragon: No problem.
              Interviewer: I know you are getting ready for your big match tomorrow so I won’t take much of your time.  As you know, there is a great deal of controversy surrounding your AWL World Title right now.  What are your thoughts on this as you head into the main event tomorrow?
              Dragon: Well, all I know is that I heard the referee’s hand slap the mat for the 3rd time before I felt Wonder Kid’s shoulder leave the ground.  I won that match and I know it.  But, I’ve seen the footage the same as everyone else and I can understand how that finish might look inconclusive.  My normal reaction would be to tell Wonder Kid to grow up.  He lost and that’s it.  I’ve lost title matches before.  Did I whine about it?  No!  I came to work the next week and started climbing the ranks again and now I stand here with 7 kilos of gold around my waist.  Wonder Kid is one amazing fighter, he could do the same thing if he set his mind to it but no, he gets Whatshername to bitch, moan, bully, and threaten his way into a rematch.  Well, I say, “NO WAY!”
              At least, that’s what I want to say.  However, this isn’t about me.  It’s about the championship.  If I ignore this challenge, if I don’t prove that I can beat Wonder Kid fair and square, then it will permanently damage the integrity of the AWL World Title and I have worked too long and too hard not only building this company, but earning back my title to see it tainted by a big, bold, brass, asterisk!
              Interviewer: Wow.  OK.  Do you have anything you’d like to say to your opponent before the match?
              Dragon: Wonder Kid.  You.  Me.  AWL 40.  No excuses, no lawyers, no rematches.  One match to prove the better man and the real champion.  But be careful, when you play with Dragon Fire . . . you will get burned.
              At this point Dragon leaves the interview to resume his pre match training.

We tried to contact Wonder Kid’s camp to give them equal time, but we were told that the challenger could not be disturbed ad did not have a comment at this time.

Well, I’ve said everything that could possibly be said.  All that’s left to do is fight.  Join us tomorrow for AWL 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment