Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Interview with AWL World Heavyweight Champion Mike Quackenbush

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a NEW AWL World Heavyweight Champion!! As those of you who watched last Sunday's AWL 94 already know (and those of you who didn't, SHOULD!) the new Chikara Director of Fun, Mike Quackenbush defeated Wolf with Wolf's own Lycanthro-bomb to take home the gold. I caught up with Quack mere minutes after the match.

Ryusensei: Mr. Quackenbush, you just became the AWL World Heavyweight Champion. What's going through your head right now?

Quackenbush: A whole lot of adrenaline, that's what. This (he points to the title belt) is a validation. This is proof that after everything I've gone through in the past year, everything Chikara has gone through, everything my family has gone through. After all of that I now know that I haven't completely "gone corproate." I know that I can still wrestle and I can still hold my own with the best in the sport today. It's an amazing feeling Ryu, it really is.

Ryusensei: After your match, Matt Classic came into the ring and handed you the AWL World Heavyweight Championship. Did you know he was going to do that?

Quackenbush: I honestly had no idea. But I hope he meant it as a sign of respect because that's how I took it. I know I'm an outsider here in the AWL, but hopefully handing me this title means that Matt Classic accepts me as an AWL Wrestler.

Ryusensei: Speaking of Matt Classic, thanks to the Golden Watch Opportunity, Matt will be your opponent at AWL 100. What are your thoughts on facing him in the main event of the season finale?

Quackenbush: If I'm lucky enough to still hold this title by then. There's a lot of high level competition in this company and my still being champion in 5 weeks is in no way guaranteed. But if that match happens, I look forward to it. I've known Matt Classic for many years. He's always been an idol of mine and I was overjoyed when he joined us for a few Chikara shows over the years. If he and I stand across the ring from each other at AWL 100, I would be honored to fight him in his final match.

Ryusensei: It's interesting that you bring up Chikara. Do you foresee and difficulties in balancing your new duties as AWL Champion and as Chikara's Director of Fun?

Quackenbush: Not at all. While I will have to be in Chicago on June 21st for the next two Chikara shows and won't make it for AWL 97, I see no problem making any other dates for the AWL. And you used the correct word: Duty. As AWL World Heavyweight Champion, it is my duty to represent both myself and this company to the best of my ability as champion and that's exactly what I intend to do.

Ryusensei: Thank you champ and congratulations again on your title win.


No comments:

Post a Comment