Thursday, January 18, 2018

Interview with Chiba Akagi

                I sat down with the winner of the 2018 New Year’s Tournament, Chiba Akagi, to get his thoughts following his big win.  As always, thanks and credit to the AWL Translation Team for their help.

Ryusensei: First of all, congratulations Chiba-senshu on your victory.  What’s going through your head right now?

Chiba Agaki: It still doesn’t feel real.  Getting home, unpacking my bag, and finding the NYT belt.  The first thought in my mind was, “Did I take someone else’s bag by mistake?”  But it’s slowly sinking in that my name is going on a list of the very best in AWL history.  Ganba, Matt Classic, Wonder Kid, even international legends like Ultramantis Black.  The name Chiba Akagi will be in that pantheon for the rest of time.  I can only hope to be worthy of inclusion.

Ryusensei: What’s next for you?  You’re the new #1 Contender for the AWL Grand Championship, do you know when your championship match will be?

Chiba Akagi: I don’t know.  I’ve spoken to the AWL Commissioner and he told me I’m going to have to wait a few weeks.  He wants me fully recovered from the tournament first.  I can’t disagree with that, but I don’t want to just sit home.  So, I’ve asked for a match at AWL 221 to help me stay in ring shape.

Ryusensei: Is that wise?  If you lose a match between now and your title match, you’ll put your #1 Contendership at risk.

Chiba Akagi: Then I’ll have to make sure I don’t lose.

Ryusensei: HAHA!  OK, I can’t argue with that.  Last thing, any words for HAKAISHA!?


Chiba Akagi: Only this: The last time I made a promise in one of these interviews, I promised that I would make all four of my opponents submit to win the tournament.  I did that.  HAKAISHA!, I have nothing but respect for you, but I’m going to make you tap out and I’m going to be the first ever two time AWL Grand Champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment