Saturday, May 3, 2014

Information overload!

Well, this is interesting. The good news is that the good folk over at Sacred Heart Local Medical Facility have NOT cleared "Big" Ben Nelson for full competition . . . sort of. While he appears to have suffered no serious effects from his concussion, his shoulder and ribs are still in bad shape. Competing in the AWL ring would, in the opinion of the doctors, run a serious risk of aggravating the injury. However, they have decided to leave the choice up to Ben and the AWL Commissioner.

The following is a statement from the Commissioner's office:

While it is my personal preference to always defer to the opinions of trained and licensed medical professionals in any matter related to the health and safety of the wrestlers under my charge, I have decided to make an exception in this case. Mr. Nelson and I spoke at length yesterday and I believe fully understand his feelings. I offered to postpone the match, but Mr. Nelson would not hear of it. He would far rather I bend my personal policy than break the rules of the AWL (Editors note: According to the AWL Rulebook, any wrestler who fails to appear for a scheduled match is considered to be the loser by forfeit) for him. I also fully believe that he understands the risks involved. Additionally, knowing the personalities, temperaments, and lack of a personal grudge between them, I trust both Ben Nelson and Ganba to act professionally. While I expect that, like all AWL Wrestlers, they will do everything in their power to win the match, they are professional enough to neither try to permanently injure each other nor end the other's career. Therefore, the AWL World Heavyweight Championship Match at AWL 90 will go on as scheduled!

THIS, I HAVE COMMISSIONED!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

We work for a crazy person. Then again, what wrestler doesn't?

With that decided, we have very little time before the big match tomorrow so let's get some official comments from both the champion and the challenger. As always, in deference to the title, the AWL World's Heavyweight Champion will have the first word (for the sake of clarity, Ganba is speaking through an translator):

First, I have nothing but respect for Ben Nelson. To show such determination to fight past his limits is truly the mark of a man. He may be a foreigner, but he understands the Japanese fighting spirit. I'm sure he will do his best in our match tomorrow. But so will I. I am the AWL World Heavyweight Champion. It is my duty to defend this belt with all my power. To do otherwise would be an insult to the title, the warriors who fight in that ring, and the fans who pay their hard earned money to watch us. Tomorrow Nelson, we will compete to see who is the best. We will both do our best. 俺たちは二人に頑張りましょう!

And now some words from the challenger. These comments were transcribed at Ben Nelson's temporary home in Tokyo immediately after he received word of the AWL Commissioner's decision. At this time, he had not heard Ganba's statement.


This is bloody brilliant! I've been floating around that sodding Best 4 list for MONTHS! I finally get my title shot and some wanker in a halloween costume jumps me from behind and nearly breaks my head. Trust me, no one's heard the last of that. I'm going to find that black masked shagface and beat him the bloody hell out of him. But that's for another day. Tomorrow, I'm going to walk into that arena, step into that ring, and give Ganba the fight of my life. Yes, I'm hurt. Yes, he's one of the best champions the AWL's ever had. Yes, there's a good chance I'm going to lose. But I can promise you that I'm going to not going down without a ****ing fight!

Well, with that settled, here's the full card for tomorrow:

Main Event:
Ganba (C) vs. "Big" Ben Nelson
AWL World Heavyweight Championship Match.

Super Giant vs. Tiger Mask
Light Heavyweight #1 Contender's Match

Wrestler X vs. Kid Canada

Wolf vs. Joe Obber

Big & Spicy (0) vs. Wonder Kid & Jack "Breakdown" Butcher (0)
Points on the Line!

No comments:

Post a Comment