Saturday, March 12, 2016

Main event promos

The AWL Intercontinental Championship will be defended in a big inter-promotional match tomorrow. I took a few moments to catch up with both the champion and challenger in this clash of the IC Champions:

Hassan: I remember when I first decided to train as a professional wrestler. I was told that, as a Muslim-American that IF I was ever hired by anyone, I had better study tape of the Iron Sheik and Mohammad Hassan (no relation by the way). I was told, "There's not a lot of slots for...one of you." I was told, "Just learn the Camel Clutch, that's all you'll need." I was told, "Do yourself a favor, pretend to be Italian."

Well, I decided to embrace who I am, not run from it. I am an American and I am Muslim. Sure, I'm not the most orthodox person in the world, but I don't see either of those lables as mutually exclusive. I realized that this had never been done in professional wrestling before, so it was going to take a lot of convincing of both the promoters and the fans. That's why I named my finishing move the Paradigm Shift.

And that's what Kenny Omega is going to get tomorrow. A massive paradigm shift. I've been watching your career for a while. You speak Japanese fluently and you'd gained acceptance from the fans before you turned your back on them, joined Bullet Club, and started acting like you just got off the plane yesterday. You and I are the same. People assumed we were going to have to follow the stereotypes to survive in this business. I've spent the last 9 seasons proving them wrong. All you've done is prove them right! You're an insult! And tomorrow, with the pride of the AWL at stake I'm going to show you the error of your ways.

Kenny Omega's comments, on the other hand, aren't anywhere near as inspirational:
Last time I talked about Mr. All American Goodie Two Shoes, I got in trouble for saying a naughty word. Well [expletive deleted] that!! Hassan, you think you're hot [expletive deleted] just because people want to shove you into an "evil Arab" gimmick? Welcome to the life of EVERY foreign wrestler in Japan in the last FIFTY [expletive deleted] YEARS!! The whole damn business here is based around "Heroic Japanese, evil gaijin!" Eventually, you're gonna learn that it's just not gonna work. Devitt knew that. AJ knew that. I know that. So you have to make it work for you. That's why we decided to pull a Bret Hart. Bullet Club may be hated by these xenophobic mother [expletive deleted], but everywhere else in the world we are the biggest heroes in wrestling!


I'm going to beat you tomorrow. There ain't nothing you can do about that. But when you realize that this "paradigm shift" stuff is [expletive deleted], come and talk to me. There might be a place for you in Bullet Club. Cody Hall's getting good and we could use a new Young Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment