Friday, March 25, 2016

Title match announced and an exclusive interview.

Last weekend at AWL 166, The New Classics won their third point in a match that was actually less lopsided than I expected it to be. Interestingly, with an unknown time limit before Karl Anderson debuts in either NXT or WWE (thereby making him unavailable to the AWL and taking one half of the AWL World Tag Team Titles with him), Sammy Nix and Lee Masters have decided NOT to cash in their title match this week at AWL 167.

Instead, they will wait until NEXT week and AWL 168.

I asked the #1 Contenders why they want to risk the wait and they explained that they feel the VERY earliest Anderson could possibly debut for WWE is at NXT Takeover Dallas, which is still a couple of weeks away. Therefore they feel that waiting a week to both rest up and study tape of their opponents is more than worth the delay.

So we might as well make it official:
AWL 168:
Main Event
Bullet Club (C) vs. The New Classics (3)
AWL World Tag Team Championship Match
7th Title Defense

I also an exclusive interview from AWL legend: Ganba.  I caught up with Ganba on the way home from an appearance at a charity show in Tokyo. This conversation has been translated from Japanese into English.

RyuSensei: Ganba-senshu, thank you for taking the time to speak with me. At the moment, you are a mere two matches away from becoming the first AWL Wrester to rack up 50 career wins. What goes through your mind when you think about that fact.

Ganba: No problem at all. Thank you for coming all the way out here. I think every athlete thinks about wins and losses. And I'm no exception. 50 wins will be an important milestone in my career. But I must admit, it makes me feel a bit old. All around me I see my fellow Season Zero wrestlers retired or near retirement and a whole new generation rising up and taking their place. Sometimes it makes it difficult to know my own place in the AWL.

RyuSensei: Does that mean you're contemplating your own retirement?

Ganba: Not at all! I'm as healthy as a man my age can be and I am not slowing down in the ring. As long as I can safely compete, I have every intention of doing so.

RyuSensei: Thank goodness. Getting back to 50 wins, have you considered who you would like to have those next 2 matches against?

Ganba (Laughing): How about Wyvern and Okada for the AWL and IWGP titles? That'd be fun!

RyuSensei: Seriously.

Ganba: Seriously, there is someone I've wanted to fight. Yamada Jiro.

RyuSensei: I don't recall you two ever wrestling before. Have you?

Ganba: No. That's why I want to. I have read every word that he has ever written for this site. I've also read the things that you have chosen not to publish. He is a racist and a fool. I love Japan as much as anyone, but we are one part of an international community and must take part in the world. I know we can do this without losing what makes Japanese culture unique and wonderful.

In my time with the AWL, I've had several chances to wrestle in the United States and I've learned a few things. Wrestling fans are the same all over the world. They share the same passion and love for what we do.

I've also had the chance to work with the best wrestlers from nearly a dozen different countries. America, Japan, England, Mexico, Canada, Russia, Transylvania, Australia, China, Iraq, and Parts Unknown.

I am a patriot. I love my country. But men like Yamada Jiro are a disgrace and a dishonor. So I am challenging Yamada Jiro to a match. Please tell the AWL Commissioner of my request.

RyuSensei: I shall. Thank you again for your time sir.


And I did just that upon returning to the office. It's official, this weekend, for the first time ever, Ganba and Yamada Jiro will face each other in the AWL ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment