Saturday, March 18, 2017

Interview with the AWL Champions

Something a little unusual today (befitting an unusual week leading into an unusual show).  I had the opportunity to sit down and interview all 4 current AWL champions about their upcoming matches at AWL 206: Chikara Special (The Show Not The Hold):

Ryusensei: First of all gentlemen, thanks for sitting down with me and taking time from your training for this interview.  This weekend all of you will step into the ring and defend the honor and pride of the AWL against your counterparts from Chikara.  While none of your titles will be on the line, this is still a high profile event.  I’d like to know what’s going through your heads.  Let’s start with you Mr. Nix

Sammy Nix: Call me Sammy.

Ryusensei: Very well, Sammy, you face the Chikara Grand Champion Ultramantis Black.  Your thoughts on this match?

Sammy Nix: It’s a big freakin’ deal!  Ultramantis Black is one of the best wrestlers on the US east coast and someone I’ve looked up to most of my career.  An’ he’s also been in the AWL before and even held the AWL World’s Heavyweight Title at one point AND he won the 2013 New Year’s Tournament.  Me an’ him are pretty similar.  I’m looking forward to the challenge.

Ryusensei: Any hints as to your strategy for beating him?
Sammy Nix: Dance with what brought ya.  Beat him down, throw him around, and hit the Chimera-plex for the win.

Ryusensei: I understand you’ve asked Lee Masters to remain in the locker room for this match.  Any reason for that?
Sammy Nix: Yeah.  Two of em’.  First, Ultramantis Black has had a stable of guys at his command most of his career, but this Sunday he’s all on his own.  I don’t want to be accused of takin’ an unfair advantage or nothin’.  Second, Lee needs to take care a some personal stuff and this is a perfect chance to take a week off.

Ryusensei: OK, I’m not going to pry.  Next, Tiger-senshu.  You will wrestle Young Lions Cup Champion Space Monkey, any thoughts on this…strange opponent?

Tiger Mask II: When I was Space Monkey’s age, the AWL’s first Tiger Mask took me under his wing and taught me everything I know.  I see this match as a chance to pass on those teachings to the next generation of wrestlers.  I’m confident I’ll win, but it should be a fun match.  And Space Monkey is FAR from the strangest wrestler I’ve ever fought.

Ryusensei: Makes sense.  Speaking of strange opponents, GWM’s Tiger the Dark will be representing that organization in the inter-promotional 4-way match and your tag team partner Prince Puma will be representing Lucha Underground.  Any words of encouragement for Puma?

Tiger Mask II: I wish him success and I would enjoy watching him kick Tiger the Dark in the face.

Ryusensei’ Nothing else to be said there I guess.  Last but not least, Liga Cosmica, you have Crummels and Defarge, the team that unseated Mustache Mountain to become Campeones de Parejas.  Tag team wrestling is probably the think Chikara is best known for, their home turf so to speak.  Does that make you worried?

Estrella Dorada: …..

Ryusensei: O…K…Erupcion Solar, anything?

Erupcion Solar: Our two teams aren’t that different.  Both young in the sport and holding tag team gold early in our careers.  However, the difference is in out styles.  They have made good use out of a few basic techniques where as we come from a multigenerational history that we can draw from.  That history, the soul of lucha libre, is what will bring us victory this Sunday.

Ryusensei: Anybody have anything else they’d like to say?


Sammy Nix: Yes.  Chikara, we all like you.  Yer great wresters and your promotion has done some of the most innovative stuff in wrestling history.  But this is the AWL.  We are the best wrestling in Japan if not tha world!  Our boss invited you onto our turf and that means, respect aside, yer gonna get your asses kicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment