Saturday, July 1, 2017

Final words before this weekend's title match

By AWL tradition, this final blog entry before the AWL Grand Championship is defended, shall be turned over to both the champion and the challenger.

Luke James?  You’re kidding me, right?  That loser?  They idiot cowboy who’s been scraping the edge of the Danger Zone ever since he started wrestling?  He’s fighting my Augment?  Bah!  Waste of time.  Wrestler X will destroy him in less than 5 minutes and my…associate will end the matter permanently.  One less sack of biological inferiority running around the planet.  Now leave me alone, I have work to do.
--Dr. Jigoku

I started wrestling in late 2011.  It was December of that year when I was wrestling at a little show in Nashville that changed my life.  I was working the opening match where I lost to one of the more experienced local guys.  The main event was American Beetle and a guy named Bluegrass Jones against a couple of biker dudes called the Leather Brothers.
                After the show, I was changing back into my civvies in the toilet that was serving as a locker room when American Beetle approached me.    He said he liked my match.  I shook his hand, thanked him, but pointed out that I’d lost.  He said, “Yeah, but that’s ‘cause you’re green as goose shit.  Once you actually know what you’re doing, yer gonna be good at this.”  I laughed and got ready to leave when he dropped the bombshell.
                “Ya follow the AWL kid?”
                “Sure, who doesn’t?”
                “Well, the boss has this 6-man tournament coming up.  Country verses country Olympics kind of thing.  Well, Hassan and I are looking for a 3rd man.  You interested?  It’s 4 months of steady bookings and the office boys take care of all the visa stuff.”
                In my head, I remember being professional and calmly accepting the offer.  In reality, I probably jumped up and down yelling or something.  This was my big break and I knew it.  Summer of 2017 I started in the AWL as a member of Team USA in the World Warrior Exposition (how the heck we didn’t get sued over that name, I’ll never know).
                I’ve been in the AWL for the last 5 years and 9 seasons.  I’ve made good money and I’ve met some great people and made lifelong friends.  One of those friends I was ever lucky enough to share an AWL World’s Tag Team Championship with.  Am I the next Stone Cold?  Probably not, but I’ve had a pretty good career…

…so far!  Yeah, this ain’t no obituary.  I may be goin inta a death match tomorrow, but I ain’t dead yet!  Wrestler X, you wanna copy me?  Well, that’s the biggest mistake you’ve EVER MADE!  Ya see, I’ve been fighting myself my whole life.  I know all of my weaknesses because I’ve had to confront each and every one of ‘em over mah life!
You think you’re the ultimate opponent?  To me, you’re just another weekend.  I know every mistake you’re going to make and Imma ready to kick yer ass and take yer belt!!  At AWL 218, thar’s gonna be a NEW sheriff in town!!!  Yeeeeehaaaaww!!!!!

--Luke James

No comments:

Post a Comment